Username: Password:

Author Topic: Racing the Associated Factory Team SC10 4x4 - Build, Race, Modify  (Read 2360 times)

Offline FRONTI3R

• Fraser
  • A-Main Winner

SC10 4x4
1:10 Scale Electric Off-Road Truck

Editions:
SC10 4x4 Factory Team
SC10 4x4 RTR Combo
SC10 4x4 Ready-To-Run
SC10 4x4 Kit

The SC10 4x4 Factory Team kit is built from the same race proven composite modular chassis but with many new upgraded features added. The chassis layout has been reconfigured and now features a centralized-mass battery mount. This allows the use of a saddle pack battery (Reedy #627) to optimize the weight distribution of the chassis. With the addition of the Factory Team carbon fiber chassis brace rod, the chassis flex has been made more consistent and predictable for an overall improvement in handling and traction.

One of the more radical features on the SC10 4x4 Factory Team kit is the VTS4 slipper clutch, a variable torque, multi-plate slipper clutch with 4-drive surfaces. The VTS4 slipper clutch is a big step up in performance by providing increased torque capacity in addition to finer resolution in adjustment. This all adds up to more consistent power transfer to the ground.

The SC10 4x4 Factory Team Kit has also received the upgrades you would come to expect to find in full blown race car. You will find Factory Team 13mm hard anodized aluminum big-bore threaded shocks, blue aluminum clamping wheel hexes and sway bar sets already in the box!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 10:12:42 PM by FRONTI3R »
Shawn
Tekno RC www.TeknoRC.com - SCT410 - EB48.2 - Super Light 1/8th buggy
Team GFX Designs & DAN-O-MITE Custom Works

Bodywerx

Re: Racing the Associated SC10 4x4 - Build, Race, Modify
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 12:12:41 PM »
Sold one of these last night. Thanks Shawn for all the info.

Offline FRONTI3R

• Fraser
  • A-Main Winner
Re: Racing the Associated SC10 4x4 - Build, Race, Modify
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 11:19:51 AM »
Some nice upgrades that really help out this truck.
Here is whre I found a review:
http://www.thebigrc.com/?p=2185

Recently I was sent a performance package from RCShox of products they offer for the SC10 4×4. The kit comes with Garolite slipper pads, adjustable ackermann steering rack, and dual stage pistons. RCShox designed these products with improving performance, reliability, and your lap times around the track.

Let’s start with the ackerman steering rack. This part was one I was excited to see. We have seen AE team drivers testing a steering rack design of their own that is not on the market quite yet. RCShox offers this to you NOW! This part will give you the adjustment of changing the inner tie rod mounting location to make the steering more or less aggressive depending on your driving needs. The new bar comes with one additional hole forward and two back over the stock location.

RCShox also upgraded the bar to have bearings on the inner pivot mount. The bearings eliminate slop that the stock bushing can develop and gives the rack smoother operation. Installation is pretty straight forward and the instructions were easy to follow once downloaded from RCShox website. The different locations are easily accessed from the bottom of the truck and can be done quickly at trackside to test locations. On the track I liked the third hole, one back from stock, and noticed immediately that the truck was easier to drive. The SC10 4×4 truck is known for being an aggressive steering truck and the RCShox steering rack helps tune some of that out and makes a truck feel more consistent to steer around the track. One important note we should mention is that if you would like to use one of the two rear holes the ball stud will hit the bell cranks and you will need to clearance them a little to allow them to completely steer left and right. The forward two holes can be used without the need to do anything to the steering bell cranks, but in my opinion the rear holes are the reason to buy this product.

Next up I installed the RCShox Garodisc slipper pads. These pads are the same size of the HD pads that AE offers but are made of a material called Garolite. Garolite is a material that has better wear and bite over stock slipper pads. Most of us SC10 4×4 owners know by now that the stock slipper lacks the bite to transfer power to the rear wheels with the current line of 4×4 motors one the market. We have seen some fixes with multi slipper plate clutches and other modification in order to get more power to the wheels. The Garodisc pads can be used with the standard clutch set up or with one of the other slipper options available. We used the Garodisc pads with the stock standard clutch set up. Immediately I noticed there was way more power transfer over the stock pads. The Garodisc have more of a real feel of a clutch with a progressive grab over the stock pads. Also as an extra bonus I noticed the slipper temps dropped due to a more functional slipper clutch. I did have concern that the harder material would create some extra wear on the slipper plates but found this not to be an issue so far.
Whether you are using a multi disc slipper or the standard slipper set up you will want to have a set of these on your truck.

Last part of the package is the Dual stage pistons. These pistons are special in that they have 6 holes of compression that are 1.1 mm and 6 holes that are 1.2 mm holes for rebound.

When the shock compresses the pistons closes and the shock oil passes through the 1.1mm holes.

When the shock extends the piston slides open and oil flows through the lower pistons 1.2 mm holes.

When the piston is open the upper piston also has two larger holes that open to allow the extra flow of oil to pass through the upper piston.
The benefit of having a dual stage piston is the shock will be able to work faster but still be able to absorb the impacts of landing jumps. We found that you can run 5 to 10 weight lighter shock oil with the dual stage pistons. I notice the truck felt more responsive without becoming twitchy to drive. The truck had quicker weight transfer which helped in having better traction in and out of corners. Another part of the track they excel on our track is a large do or die triple jump. With the RCShox pistons we can see the truck was able jump a little higher and farther making the triple jump more consistent to clear. Our home track stays pretty smooth so we did not get to test them under a rough track conditions, however, with the thinner oil we suspect they would excel in rough conditions too.
After putting all three of these together we made some runs on the clock at our local track. We used our previous lap times to compare our current times. We were able to better our best lap by .2 second for several times in one round. Overall the RCShox’s products improve the performance, add adjustability, and in our case made us faster around the track. Not much more you can ask of a product.

All the mentioned products are available through RCShox.com as individual items or as a performance kit.

Thanks to Cameron Kellogg for the great article!

------------------------

I can say that the disks work really really well.

I have yet to install and try the dual stage pistons and ackerbar for myself... I will try them soon when I have time to install them.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 07:26:16 PM by FRONTI3R »
Shawn

Offline FRONTI3R

• Fraser
  • A-Main Winner
New AE Factory Team Edition SC10 4x4
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 09:26:36 AM »
Factory Team Edition to come soon:
- New AE Graphite plastic, stiffer chassis , arms
- No more chassis/ belt brace needed
- New AE multi slipper system
- Factory Team Ti shocks, Ti shock mounts and turn buckles
- Lightweight Differential Outdrives & Top Shafts
- Blue Aluminum screws, Wheel hexes & Shock Mount Pins

Here's a spy shot of the slipper they are still working on:

The new slipper utilizes a basket that contains two newly designed pads, along with a new friction plate and slipper plate. The new slipper provides more clutch pad surface area to slip, allowing for a much more consistent slipper clutch feel throughout a race and from race to race.
Shawn

Offline FRONTI3R

• Fraser
  • A-Main Winner
Factory Team SC10 4x4
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 02:30:20 PM »

Expected late March

The SC10 4x4 taken to the next level with Factory Team treatment! Starting with the already awesome SC10 4x4, Team Associated takes their 4WD short course truck to the next level with the full Factory Team treatment! The new high-performance features found on the SC10 4x4 Factory Team kit have been designed to give this truck the competitive edge in the dirt and on the track. The SC10 4x4 Factory Team kit is built from the same race-proven composite modular chassis but with many new upgraded features added. The chassis layout has been reconfigured and now features a centralized-mass battery mount. This allows for the use of a saddle pack battery to optimize the weight distribution of the chassis. With the addition of the Factory Team carbon fiber chassis brace rod, the chassis flex has been made more consistent and predictable for an overall improvement in handling and traction.
One of the more radical features on the SC10 4x4 Factory Team kit is the VTS4 slipper clutch, a variable torque, multi-plate slipper clutch with 4 drive surfaces. The VTS4 slipper clutch is a big step up in performance by providing increased torque capacity in addition to finer resolution in adjustment. This all adds up to more consistent power transfer to the ground.

The SC10 4x4 Factory Team Kit has also received the upgrades you would come to expect to find in a full-blown race car. You’ll find Factory Team 13mm hard-anodized aluminum big-bore threaded shocks, blue aluminum clamping wheel hexes, and sway bar sets already in the box!

Features:
-VTS4 slipper (variable torque, multi-plate slipper with 4 drive surfaces)
-13mm hard-anodized aluminum big-bore threaded shocks with lowfriction seals
-Factory Team TiN-coated shock shafts and inner hinge pins
-Centralized-mass battery mount with carbon-fiber strap
-Factory Team carbon-fiber chassis brace rod
-Improved steering rack with new Ackermann settings
-Factory Team blue aluminum clamping wheel hex adapters
-Factory Team front and rear sway bar sets included
-Factory Team blue titanium HD turnbuckle set
-CVA drives with 6mm heavy-duty axles and captured pins
-Factory Team lightweight differential outdrives
-Factory Team blue aluminum metric screw set
-SC10 Contender body (clear)

New slipper I told you guys about:
Shawn

Offline FRONTI3R

• Fraser
  • A-Main Winner
SC10 4x4 - FT Upgrade kit
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 01:02:45 AM »
Upgrade kit:
http://teamassociated.com/news/latest_products/809-NEW%21_SC10_4X4_Upgrade_Kit:D:D

Includes all the parts below:
 •Belt Cover
•Rear Shock Tower
•Optional Steering Rack
•4x4 Chassis Brace Conversion
•4x4 Saddle Pack Battery Strap
•VTS Slipper Conversion
•4x4 Saddle Pack Cradle

Shawn

Offline FRONTI3R

• Fraser
  • A-Main Winner
Factory Team SC10 4x4 - Build, Race, Modify
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 09:50:03 AM »
Wow.. everything that was here is gone.  Another page hacked I guess.

I will have to work on this thread soon.

The Factory Team SC10 4x4 is the 2012 ROAR champion after this weekends super nationals at WCRC:

Hot off the press, Mayfield talks about his recent championship with the Sc10 4wd!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwN37qF6AIE

Edit- Both A-Mains:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO6jbtkKHmg&list=UUe3iCwyGpDh4cqyAjOK-7jw&index=3&feature=plcp
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 10:47:21 PM by FRONTI3R »
Shawn