Author Topic: >>REVIEW<< Model 9116 1/12 Scale 2WD 2.4G RC Truggy Review  (Read 543 times)

August 18, 2015, 05:43:58 PM

Offline SteveM

• A-Main Winner
>>REVIEW<< Model 9116 1/12 Scale 2WD 2.4G RC Truggy Review
« on: August 18, 2015, 05:43:58 PM »
I was asked by Robert at GearBest (www.gearbest.com) to do a product review of one of their R/C products. A vehicle was shipped and today I received a 12th scale, 2wd R/C Monster Truck for an un-boxing and first run review. My un-boxing video is at the following link;

https://youtu.be/Xy6jvwZuAeE

First impressions are all very positive. The truck comes 100% built and ready to run out of the box. The body is brightly coloured, feels sturdy and should be able to withstand lots of punishment. The body clips are nice and are bent up slightly making it easy for parents to remove and install for the kids. The tires do not have inserts and are not glued. Time will tell if this makes any difference. The shock springs are anodized red and the rims look like black chrome. Pretty cool.

The steering and rear links look like turnbuckles, but are in reality solid non-adjustable links. The battery hatch is great and opens with four clips that swing open allowing for the hatch to come straight up and off. I really like the ease of access for the battery and it's a nice tough.

The motor is a brushed 390 size silver can type and provides plenty of power. The speed control has proportional forward/brake/reverse and works perfectly. The transmitter looks funky, but in use is fine. The included screwdriver is used to remove the red grip on the left side where you install two AA batteries (not included). The steering wheel must be pushed into the hex slot on the right of the transmitter and is retained by friction. There is a steering trim on the left side of the transmitter that is recessed slightly to guard against unintentional trim changes.

The battery is actually a 9.6V lithium-ion type, and not the NiMH I mentioned in the video. Sorry about that. The manual shows how to install the transmitter batteries, how to adjust steering trim and more. Also in the manual is a complete parts list with pictures of each item and the part number. The back of the manual has two large exploded diagrams in case you need to make repairs or replace parts.

For the price, and considering everything is included in the box, this is a great way to get into R/C off-road trucks and with a few buddies would be a blast racing at the local park or in your backyard for some fun. The wheel hexes look like standard 10th scale sedan size, so it would be super easy to swap out the off-road tires for some 10th scale street tires for pavement action. The truck even comes with ball bearings.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 01:16:55 PM by SteveM »

August 18, 2015, 05:44:43 PMReply #1

Offline SteveM

• A-Main Winner
Re: >>REVIEW<< Model 9116 1/12 Scale 2WD 2.4G RC Truggy Review
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 05:44:43 PM »
I have also done a quick first run video at the following link;

https://youtu.be/SxtWb4XTAHo

As you can see, it goes pretty well and I was having a blast. I ran the truck until the battery drained and put it back on the charger for another try later tonight. Sure wish it came with two (or more) battery packs. This truck is a blast and is SteveM approved.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 01:17:34 PM by SteveM »

August 18, 2015, 06:37:48 PMReply #2

Offline Richie Rich

• Prestige A-main Winner
  • #RockitRC
    • RC Ottawa
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 06:37:48 PM »
Well done! You've got moose in your hair. Get it?  :P
I like it. Do you imagine swapping to lipo or getting custom packs for it?
Interesting that they use lithium ion for more power. The battery is probably the price they ask for the set, so it's like getting a "free truck" with your battery.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 06:40:24 PM by Richie Rich »
Follow RockitRC on YouTube
Tamiya | Team Associated | TLR Losi | Axial | LaTrax | Traxxas | Dromida

August 18, 2015, 07:37:43 PMReply #3

Offline Kirk

• A-Main Winner
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 07:37:43 PM »
Great read and great vids Steve!
West Ottawa RC racing.
Worcracing@gmail.com

August 18, 2015, 09:06:34 PMReply #4