Author Topic: Robs Midwest Boothbay Lobsterboat build  (Read 452 times)

October 15, 2016, 02:11:17 PM

Offline Rob

• A-Main Winner
Robs Midwest Boothbay Lobsterboat build
« on: October 15, 2016, 02:11:17 PM »
Next boat up for a build in the basement workshop is the Boothbay Lobsterboat kit made by Midwest Products. These are the guys that produce most of that nice miniature lumber in your local hobby shop.
It seems that they have gotten out of the kit production side of things in the last few years, but I had one of these kits on backorder at Fredz Dynamic hobbies for what seems like forever and somehow I must have managed to squeeze in under the wire and low and behold one was waiting for me at FredZ about 6 months ago. You may still find one of these kits in a hobby shop somewhere or on ebay (for a crazy price), but as of now they are discontinued and none of the big hobby distributors have any left.

It has now made it from the shelf of future builds onto the workbench.

Here are a bunch of photos of the box info.

Dinner guests will be arriving momentarily, so I must sign off for now.
Unboxing and build will start this week, so I hope you check in every now and again to watch the progress.

Cheers,

Rob
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 02:13:18 PM by Rob »
Rob  McRae

October 19, 2016, 09:24:11 PMReply #1

Offline Rob

• A-Main Winner
Re: Robs Midwest Boothbay Lobsterboat build
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 09:24:11 PM »
Unboxing started earlier this week, so I'll update you on my progress so far.

The kit contains a full size plan of the boat.  The plan is two large sheets that when taped together give you a 32" x 48" diagram with various different profiles and detail drawings to aid in the build.

Parts list

and 93 page instruction manual with tons of diagrams and instructions for each step of the construction. It's a shame that Midwest is not making kits any longer because this manual is amazing. I can see now why this kit was highly recommended as a great kit for novice model boat builders.

The meat of the kit

12 bags of hardware and wood.

I jumped right in and started the build last night.
First step is the construction of the Keel which is made up of four pre-cut and sanded 5/16" thick basswood pieces and the driveshaft stuffing box. This is all assembled on top of the full size plan to keep everything lined up properly. I placed a piece of wax paper over the plans to protect them from any CA and epoxy damage.
While building this kit, I am also tracing every piece so I can make up some templates and electronic copies for my records. Seeing as this kit is no longer available, I may want to build another some day... maybe even scale it up a bit to 1/8 scale. I love the larger scale boats that give you so much more room to add all sorts of details that us visually challenged folks have a hard time with on these tiny little boats.

Here is the keel with the stuffing box installed and ca'd in place

and a pic of the completed keel on the right as well as all the die-cut parts for the hull. I removed all the parts from there sheets and sanded all edges to remove any of the flash. I have to say Midwest had some very sharp die cutters. These were the best die cut parts I have ever seen. I sanded every piece for this boat in the time it took me to sand 3 or 4 frames  from some of the older Dumas boat kits I have built.

That's a wrap for tonight.
Cheers!

Rob  McRae

October 22, 2016, 09:18:40 PMReply #2

Offline Rob

• A-Main Winner
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 09:18:40 PM »
Got a chance to take advantage of the crappy weather today. Spent a few hours in the workshop.

More progress on the build.

Deck halves joined

same for the sub-deck halves

All the frame halves joined and sub-deck supports ca'd in place.

Frames joined to the sub-deck

Frame 1 and the breasthook squared up and attached to keel

Sub-deck and frame assembly attached to keel

Rob  McRae

October 25, 2016, 08:17:29 PMReply #3

Offline Rob

• A-Main Winner
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 08:17:29 PM »
Made a working cradle stand with the template provided on the plan sheet to hold the boat during the next steps in construction

Installed the main deck. The instructions describe simulating planking on the cockpit and main decks by scribing plank lines. I'm going to pass on that and plan on painting the decks like the real boats. If I change my mind and decide to go for the plank look, I'll use scale planking rather than scribed pencil lines to simulate it.

Rob  McRae

December 02, 2016, 03:51:43 PMReply #4

Offline Crazy Clyde

• B-Main
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 03:51:43 PM »
Just wondering if you ever got a chance to finish the lobster boat? Am thinking of getting one to build over the winter.
Crazy Clyde Out..

Clyde - Tamiya Blackfoot. VBC Ghost, Slash
Nathan - Tamiya M05 & Associated B4
Katie - Tamiya M05

December 02, 2016, 05:12:59 PMReply #5

Offline Rob

• A-Main Winner
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 05:12:59 PM »
No, haven't had much time to work on it in the last month. Too much going on. Have a few projects around the house that should be completed in the next few weeks, so I should have some boat time before Christmas gets here hopefully.
Rob  McRae

December 03, 2016, 12:41:11 AMReply #6

Offline VinnyTheBully

• Forum Admin
  • Prestige A-main Winner
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 12:41:11 AM »
Rob,

If you go to a place like Sure Print, they have large scale scanners.  A few bucks and you can have a PDF of your plans that you can scale as you see fit.  You can return to the same shop to get scaled up prints made up (of if you are lucky - know someone with a 24" wide plotter  ;)).