Author Topic: Blade Torrent 110 mini/micro FPV racer  (Read 221 times)

May 04, 2017, 08:27:49 PM

Offline Tyler P

• A-Main Winner
  • Manager of Team Great Hobbies racing team
Blade Torrent 110 mini/micro FPV racer
« on: May 04, 2017, 08:27:49 PM »
For those who don't know, the Torrent 110 is kind of like the bigger brother to the Inductrix FPV.  I would call it a mini-whoop as opposed to a tiny-whoop.  It is brushless, capable of 2s or 3s operation, and sports an F3 racing board setup on Betaflight. 

The BNF version is really just that.  Setup a new model in your Spektrum transmitter, bind the Torrent to it, plug in the recommended end-points from the manual, and setup the arming and flight mode switches to your liking.  That's pretty much it.  I plugged mine into Betaflight to adjust the flight mode and arming switches for my older JR DSM2 radio, but that was extremely easy to do.

I'm flying mine on the recommended 3s 450 batteries (mine are the Team Great Hobbies 50C variant and one E-Flite 30C), as I already had some from my Blade 180CFX heli.  After a few days on it, I'm not sure I'd ever want to fly it on 2s, as 3 is pretty manageable, even indoors.  I thought I'd want 2s for my smallish backyard but 3s is perfect.  I've even done a bunch of flights in the shop on 3s and it's not bad at all.

It is pretty quick and fun for sure!  It still doesn't like a tonne of wind, but great in a light breeze. 

Having not flown the other 2" offerings out there, such as the Eachine Aurora 90, I have nothing to compare to.  However, I really like it so far!  Completely tuneable through Betaflight, but the stock settings are pretty good for my flying.

So far, my only gripe is that there aren't many prop options available yet.  The 4-blade props from the Aurora 90 will work, and Banggood has some funky 5-blades that I've ordered to try out, but the only other I've seen are the stock Blade ones.  We shall see if anyone like Rakon-Heli starts selling any options.

Alas, I've broken one prop after a bit of a hard hit in the house, so I'm down until my orders show up.

Cheers,
Tyler

May 05, 2017, 04:36:49 PMReply #1

Offline Richie Rich

• Prestige A-main Winner
  • #RockitRC
    • RC Ottawa
Re: Blade Torrent 110 mini/micro FPV racer
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 04:36:49 PM »
The word was to put slightly smaller props so when you hit stuff, the ducts don't hit the blades
Follow RockitRC on YouTube
Tamiya | Team Associated | TLR Losi | Axial | LaTrax | Traxxas | Dromida

May 05, 2017, 04:51:13 PMReply #2

Offline TKG26

• Joel
  • Forum Admin
  • Prestige A-main Winner
    • R/C OTTAWA
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 04:51:13 PM »
Scissors?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

HOBBYWING | MIP | GREATHOBBIES
DIRT TRAX 3.0
**RIP PAUL DACK**

May 05, 2017, 06:05:43 PMReply #3

Offline Richie Rich

• Prestige A-main Winner
  • #RockitRC
    • RC Ottawa
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 06:05:43 PM »
No, from what I heard, the stock blades are a tad longer than 2", so if you can stick matching 2" props, you're in business. I can't confirm yet.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 01:31:24 PM by Richie Rich »
Follow RockitRC on YouTube
Tamiya | Team Associated | TLR Losi | Axial | LaTrax | Traxxas | Dromida

May 06, 2017, 10:42:45 AMReply #4

Offline Tyler P

• A-Main Winner
  • Manager of Team Great Hobbies racing team
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 10:42:45 AM »
I'm not really sure the concerns over the prop guards hitting the blades is valid.  I crashed it from pretty high up when I tried to fly it in heavy winds and smoked it off a tree, my fence, the trampoline legs, my car, my house, etc...LOL!  All before breaking a prop. 

The prop guards are actually kind of soft.  They aren't rigid like the Aurora 90, so I don't think downsizing would even really help all that much.  They really just keep the props from getting snagged on stuff.