Author Topic: Using a parallel system on the battery  (Read 149 times)

August 15, 2017, 12:02:27 PM

Offline eyemaster

• B-Main
  • Christian
Using a parallel system on the battery
« on: August 15, 2017, 12:02:27 PM »
I'm curious to know what the impacts would be.   If I need 7+volts and have a 2 cell battery in the RC, what would happen if I run a parallel system from it?  The radio only pushes out 6v from the channel and that's not enough, so I was thinking of using a direct connection to the battery.

Would the current be lowered to the ESC? Would you get less punch for going?  I would expect lower run times.

Thanks.
Traxxas Stampede 4x4 vxl
Schumacher Cat K1
Schumacher SVR, KF2
Christian

August 15, 2017, 07:18:35 PMReply #1

Offline Burger

• Prestige A-main Winner
  • Team Durango Canada
    • Great Hobbies
Re: Using a parallel system on the battery
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 07:18:35 PM »
I feel like you're missing a whole lot of info here. If you're looking to run the servo off the main 2s pack, run the red and black wires from the servo to the main pack and white wire to the receiver. This won't effect anything else in a noticeable fashion.
Andrew Butters' Burghgraef
Great Hobbies
Team Durango Canada
Hobbico
Exotek
Skyrc

August 17, 2017, 03:39:39 PMReply #2

Offline eyemaster

• B-Main
  • Christian
Re: Using a parallel system on the battery
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 03:39:39 PM »
It's more an electronics problem than a RC problem.  I talked to my electronic friend and apparently, the parallel system I wanted to run (LEDs) do not draw enough current to cause a problem.   I tested it out and he was right.

My LEDs need at least 6v for the red, 7v for the green.  The current draw is not enough to cause a noticeable punch drop when I nail the throttle and after 10 minutes of running, no noticeable difference on voltage draw either.

So my setup was:
2s lipo, 6000 mah.
Plug the LEDs in the balance lead of the lipo battery and voila, LEDs inside my buggy.  I'm very happy about the results.

Next test will be on my 5000 mah battery pack, even higher discharge rate, so the punch drop shouldn't happen at all, but the run time may be affected. And this one is for the 4wd, not 2wd.
Traxxas Stampede 4x4 vxl
Schumacher Cat K1
Schumacher SVR, KF2
Christian