Author Topic: Advice needed on 1/8 buggy  (Read 178 times)

October 28, 2017, 08:11:57 PM

Offline joc

• E-Main
Advice needed on 1/8 buggy
« on: October 28, 2017, 08:11:57 PM »
Hi everyone.   This is my first post on RCOttawa.   I am new to the RC hobby.  I currently have a few RTR vehicles but getting more serious about the hobby.  I am seriously considering building a 1/8 buggy as a winter project but don't have any experience as this would be my first build.  I am realizing that there are a lot of options and choices to be made beyond choosing a rolling chassis.  I thought I would consult with those of you with more experience before putting down some serious money on components.

Here is what I have selected so far.

Chassis : Tekno EB48.4

Battery:  I am assuming that 4 cell LIPOs are the battery of choice for this type of vehicle.  Probably 5000mAh or more with a good discharge rate.

Motor and ESC : Tekin RX8 Gen 3 with the T8 1900kv motor

Servo: Hittec HS-7950TH - speed 0.14, torque 486 oz/in  --- is it worth it to pay more to get into the brushless servos ?  Money well spent ?

Trans/Receiver:  Spektrum DX4S

Transponder: mylaps - I am assuming this is the popular transponder being used t most venues

Pinion: I realize that gearing is very much dependent on intended use or track but would a 17t pinion be a good starting point ?

I am sure different folks will have different preferences and as such, there is no "correct" answer.  I just want to ensure I am not making a costly mistake, that the end result should work out fine and that I will end up with decent package.

Any input or advice appreciated.

October 29, 2017, 12:33:40 AMReply #1

Online Burger

• Prestige A-main Winner
  • Team Durango Canada
    • Great Hobbies
Re: Advice needed on 1/8 buggy
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 12:33:40 AM »
Kit, it's all brand preference, any of the big brands will treat you well, track side support tekno seems to be good and I'm sure ya can't go wrong there.

Battery, you're on the right track, same thing as kit choice, everyone has there preference, I've had success running great hobbies and gens ace packs.

Motor/esc, I think that's the best combo on the market, nuff said

Servo, for that kind of money I'd go with the savox 2274, I think its better value. I favor a servo a bit faster then the listed hitec. Brushless is better in paper, don't know if it really is a performance difference, the gear train seems to be the weakest link regardless.

Radio, imo spektrum is just above toy grade. I've seem so many issues it's not even funny, futaba, ko and sanwa are what you want. I'm a futaba guy through and through, pick one of the offerings that meets your budget and you'll be happy. The 3pv is probably all you need, the 4pv and better are all super nice.

Transponder, get a 2 wire amb rc4 hybrid (not the 3 wire rc4 only one)  they'll work locally on the old rc3 system, as well as anywhere you may travel on the rc4 or new rc4.5 system (which was just announced this week)

Pinion is track dependent, those running the same car/motor/track will tell ya what ya need.

Overall you're on the right track to building a very nice machine.
Andrew Butters' Burghgraef
Great Hobbies
Team Durango Canada
Hobbico
Exotek
Skyrc

October 29, 2017, 06:58:39 AMReply #2

Offline HeavyD99

• Daragh Slowey
  • Triple A-Main Winner
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 06:58:39 AM »
There are a number of us that race Tekno locally so hopefully you come rand race it at GFX next season. 

Burger is giving you good advice.  As well, I'd consider his servo recommendation as the Hitec uses an M2.5 screw to hold on servo horns, oh, you'll want a Tekno servo horn to go with that Savox servo, 25T.  You can get a good Gens Ace battery locally.  I'd run a Futaba radio.  That's an ideal ESC and motor combo.  Not sure which pinion, but 17 has you in the ball park.  Get the transponder Burger recommended.  This is a full race rig ya got going on!
B5R/R10Pro/LRP8.5/1258THBlk/NosramLCG
22-4 2.0/GT2.0Pro/Scorpion5.5/S6040/Nosram
EB48SL/RX8/T8i1950kv/Hitec7955/SMC4500(4S)
Grasshopper/FXPro/Twister27T/Speedpower

October 29, 2017, 09:46:16 PMReply #3

Offline joc

• E-Main
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 09:46:16 PM »
Thanks Burger and HeavyD for the responses.   Very useful to a newbie making his first purchase.

For the battery, I was not so much concerned about brand but rather seeking a confirmation that 4s (14.8V) is typically what is run for this type of RC vehicle since I selected the ESC/motor on that basis.

Wrt the transponder, from my research, I take it that AMB and the Mylaps transponder is one and the same product (just referred to by different name).  Is that correct ?  I could only find the Mylaps rc4 hybrid on the Greathobbies web site.

As for racing at GFX next season, I am certainly not ruling this out since I live in the east end.  I think it would be lots of fun.  However, I think I need to work on my driving skills first to bring them up to snuff.

Thanks again - much appreciated !

October 29, 2017, 11:10:09 PMReply #4

Offline xMrAwesome24

• Jordan
  • C-Main
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 11:10:09 PM »
Yes 4s is the legal battery in 1/8th.

I'm not 100% sure if theres a difference between amb and mylaps, but I run an amb transponder. If you want to get a cheaper one get the MRT mPTX, its what I use. You can often find them used online.

And for racing, we have plenty of new people come out all the time, you dont have to worry about disturbing the race or anything we're just out to have fun. But you can come out on Fridays for practice and try out the track some before you come on Wednesdays for racing.

October 30, 2017, 01:39:13 AMReply #5

Online Burger

• Prestige A-main Winner
  • Team Durango Canada
    • Great Hobbies
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 01:39:13 AM »
mylaps and amb are one in the same. I think technically they rebranded to mylaps but everyone still calls them amb. The MRT transponders are cheaper but could have compatibility issues in the future and with transponders last forever the extra coin to be future proof is worth it IMO. Yes you want to run a 4 cell hardcase battery, 40+c 5000+mah
Andrew Butters' Burghgraef
Great Hobbies
Team Durango Canada
Hobbico
Exotek
Skyrc

October 31, 2017, 02:18:38 PMReply #6

Offline Nesbot

• Brian Nesbitt
  • Forum Admin
  • B-Main
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 02:18:38 PM »
Just to confirm what others said I'll just add:
-yes, switch to a savox servo if only for the 25t servo horn as the 24t tekno ones are hard to find.
-for running at GFX we use a 16t pinion in the eb48.4
-we use a RC3 loop at GFX so just make sure whichever transponder you get it is backwards compatible.  The MRT's and 2-wire mylaps are (3 wire mylaps won't work at GFX).

A bunch of us run Tekno's and myself and Shawn (track owner, Tekno driver) run the .4 version - good pick !

Yes come on out for a Friday night practice next season... we'll more than likely open in early May.  The skill level is pretty varied as it is so just come out  :D
AE B6D | TLR 22-4 | Tekno EB48.4 | AE TC6.2
Grumpy's RC Garage https://grumpysrcgarage.com/

November 02, 2017, 09:40:10 PMReply #7

Offline Richie Rich

• Prestige A-main Winner
  • #RockitRC
    • RC Ottawa
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 09:40:10 PM »
In 1/8 I would definitely talk to Frazer for Tekno RC recommendations. There are other good picks but definitely one of the best pick
Follow RockitRC on YouTube
Tamiya | Team Associated | TLR Losi | Axial | LaTrax | Traxxas | Dromida

November 10, 2017, 08:35:26 AMReply #8

Offline FRONTI3R

• Fraser
  • A-Main Winner
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 08:35:26 AM »
All good answers... I don't have anything to add
Shawn - GFX Raceway
My Sponsors - Tekno RC www.TeknoRC.com -SCT410.3 -EB48.4 NEW - EB410
MIP, Team GFX Designs & DAN-O-MITE Custom Works