Author Topic: Advice needed on a 1/10 scale buggy  (Read 153 times)

December 21, 2017, 11:33:06 AM

Offline joc

• E-Main
Advice needed on a 1/10 scale buggy
« on: December 21, 2017, 11:33:06 AM »
Hi, me again.  I am now putting together the parts list for 1/10 scale buggy.  I will be ordering a Tekno EB410 (sticking with the Tekno line).  Despite a lot of Internet surfing research, I could really use some advice.

First ESC and motor combo:
I want to stick with a Tekin censored power plant.  But I am really confused as to what I really need for the EB410.  Tekin produce the RS-Spec, RS Gen 2, RS Pro and RSX.  From information on their web site, it looks like the RS-Pro or the RSX would be the preferable ESC for a 4WD 1/10 scale buggy but it really is not clear to me how/why choose one over the other.  When it comes to motors, again they have multiple lines.  Redline Gen3, the Spec-R, Pro2, Pro4 and Pro4HD.   The pro 2 and 4 seem oriented towards SCT and Truggies.  So it appears that either the Gen3 or Spec-R is what I want.  Performance wise, it appears to me that the Spec-R is superior to the Gen3 and that the RSX would be better than the RS-Pro black edition (but then again my limited understanding might be way off).  However based on info on the Tekin Web site, they seem to recommend the spec-r motor with the RS-Pro ESC and the Gen3 motor with the RSX ESC.  Could one use the Spec-R motor with the RSX ESC ?  It is really not clear to me what I should target for this application.

As you can see, I am really confused and could use some advice.  If that is not enough, then comes the number of turns to select for the motor.  Again based on the Web site info, it appears that anything between 6.5T and 13.5T could be used for this application.  That is a huge range.  Hard core racers probably have several different motors that they use for different purposes but I am looking for something that would be suitable as a general good starting point.  So I could use recommendation from those who are familiar with Tekin products used in 1/10 scale buggies.

Servos:
I will be using the Savox 2274SG in the EB48.  Should I stick with that in the EB410 or should I choose something with less torque in favour of higher speed such as the Savox 2271SC (0.065 sec and 277oz).   Is 277oz of torque sufficient for 1/10 scale ?

Are the optional sway bars highly recommended or is the buggy fine without them ?

Sorry for all the questions.  I have done quite a bit of research but dont seem to be getting closer to a point where I can make a comfortable decision.  I am hoping some of you can provide guidance. 

Thanks in advance and wishing you all happy holidays.

December 21, 2017, 03:44:01 PMReply #1

Offline Richie Rich

• Prestige A-main Winner
  • #RockitRC
    • RC Ottawa
Re: Advice needed on a 1/10 scale buggy
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 03:44:01 PM »
- My guess is the Pro has more inner resistance to electrical flow and you want that punch for a 4wd rocket. The other ones are good for 2wd and "spec racing", aka racing that doesn't allow to boost your ESC through software. I.e. Gimme all the juice plus 10%. Mechanical boost/timing is usually accepted at spec races (on the motor itself).

- All the Gen 3, Pro2, Pro4, that seems to be newest generation with Tekin. Not sure why they need to have all these units where a few good ones are enough.

- Spec-R motor is not a thing. It's a motor. Any ESC spec or no spec will run those motors IMO. As long as the manual says the ESC can take the number of turns, e.g. "Up to 5 turns" and you try to run a 8T it's acceptable.

- 277 oz is a very, very nice amount of torque. In 2wd, you wouldn't need as much, maybe just 150-200 oz in 2wd.

- For your 4wd, you probably want 10T or less, dare I say 8T or less. 13.5T is too "slow" for your 4wd.

- In 2wd, yeah, it depends on your driving skills and how you get used to the extreme speed. You could put a 13.5T and love it or find it slow. You could put a 10T and say yeah, just fine. You could put a 7 or 8T and say OMG I can't control this much speed. Yeah, some guys will dump a 6.5T in it and try to make it work.

- 2wd buggy doesn'r need sway bars. Often the sway bars are used on carpet and on-road, and 4wd.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 03:49:59 PM by Richie Rich »
Follow RockitRC on YouTube
Tamiya | Team Associated | TLR Losi | Axial | LaTrax | Traxxas | Dromida

December 21, 2017, 05:16:11 PMReply #2

Offline Nesbot

• Brian Nesbitt
  • Forum Admin
  • B-Main
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 05:16:11 PM »
The first thing to consider is where are you racing and what class are you running in.
4wd is usually only a spec 13.5T class or mod.

At GFX we only run a mod 4wd class.
90% of the 4wd cars at GFX are running a 6.5T motor.
99% run between 5.5T - 8.5T depending on your skill level.
You can also just get a 6.5T and use the throttle EPA to ease into the speed.

(Disclaimer : I run the Tekin rx8 gen2 ESC's in my eb48.4 but have yet to try any of their 1/10 stuff.)
A quick glance at the tekin site shows the RS SPEC and RS PRO are both aimed at spec racers so don't get those for GFX.
RS gen2 has a brushless motor limit on a 2S lipo of 8.5T so don't get that either unless you plan to only run an 8.5T (ie. don't get it).
RSX has a much lower motor limit on a 2S lipo so it seems that is your only option for mod 4wd.

I will be running a Hobbywing v3.1.

For Motors a quick glance at their site:
PRO2 is for 2wd SCT.
SPEC-R is for spec classes.
Pro4 & Pro4HD is for 4wd SCT.

What you would want for GFX is a Redline Gen3 mod motor at the turn of your choice (if you have some RC experience get a 6.5T).

Servo:
I run a Savox 1258TG in 4wd and a Savox 1257TG in 2wd.  I know others than run a 1257TG in 4wd as well.

1258TG
Speed @ 6.0V: 0.08 sec/60°
Torque @ 6.0V: 166 oz-in / 12 kg-cm

1257TG
Speed @ 6.0V: 0.07 sec/60°
Torque @ 6.0V: 138 oz-in / 10 kg-cm

Those seem to be lower torque numbers but I haven't experienced any servo issues at GFX.

Sway bars:
You for sure don't need them to start.  Some will try the rear and I am sure will try both.
Start without and when the season gets going just ask around who have tried it.
For $20 you can get the full rear set, TKR6610.
AE B6D | Tekno EB410 | Tekno EB48.4 | AE TC6.2
Grumpy's RC Garage https://grumpysrcgarage.com/

December 21, 2017, 05:39:23 PMReply #3

Offline Burger

• Prestige A-main Winner
  • Team Durango Canada
    • Great Hobbies
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 05:39:23 PM »
The rs pro black edition has lower resistance then the rsx but doesn't dissipate heat as well. Tekin recommends the rs pro for stock class racing as its faster, but the rsx is better for mod, so go with that (even though I have a nip black edition for sale) The spec-r series motors are also for motor limited classes so no need to spend the extra money, the normal rsx/gen3 6.5 will treat you very well. If you're running tekin in 1/8 as well get the new hotwire as well for super easy programming. I'm a bit of a tekin fan boy and they make top notch stuff.

For a servo I always run the savox 1258, its more then enough, but with the new tekin esc's having a HV bec, I'd spend the extra couple buck on a HV servo just because I can, performance wise the 1258 will treat you well and more isn't necessary.
Andrew Butters' Burghgraef
Great Hobbies
Team Durango Canada
Hobbico
Exotek
Skyrc

December 21, 2017, 10:39:28 PMReply #4

Offline HeavyD99

• Daragh Slowey
  • Triple A-Main Winner
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 10:39:28 PM »
Joc, listen to Nesbot, he's done the research!  Burger as well. 

The Savox 1258TG is $35 on amazon at the moment, buy it.  I run one as well. It's normally twice that price.

As for your ESC and motor, the RSX is perfectly suited for racing in a Tekno EB410 and something around a Gen 3 6.5T motor is very competitive, if you can handle the power.  If you're new to RC and running on a track, more power is often more hurtful to you than helpful, as a buggy that's overpowered for your skill set will seem as if you're always holding on for dear life and not really getting better at driving.  I'd recommend an 8.5T, it's a happy, controllable, compromise.

You don't need sway bars yet.

Buy a set of JConcept Double Dees tires. 

Come race.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 10:59:19 PM by HeavyD99 »
B6D/GT2.0Pro/Fantom7.5/JR8717/NosramLCG
EB410/GT2.0Pro/Orca5.5/1258TGBlk/Nosram
EB48SL/RX8/T8i1950kv/Hitec7955/SMC4500(4S)
Grasshopper/FXPro/Twister27T/Speedpower

December 22, 2017, 01:30:35 PMReply #5

Offline joc

• E-Main
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 01:30:35 PM »
Thanks to all who took the time to respond.  You guys are the best and your advice is truly appreciated.   Its all gradually becoming clearer.

So I will be going with the RSX and Gen 3 combination.   With regards to the number of turns for the motor; I am obviously not an experienced driver which would lead me to going with the more comfortable 8.5T.  I am wondering however if it would not be better for me to go with the 6.5T and throttle it back through ESC programming allowing me to grow into the full potential.  Any downsides to going that route ?  Or perhaps I could split the difference and go with a 7.5T and play with the gearing to tweak performance.  Choices, choices, choices ....

Merci encore and happy holidays.

December 22, 2017, 10:39:56 PMReply #6

Offline TKG26

• Joel
  • Forum Admin
  • Prestige A-main Winner
    • R/C OTTAWA
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 10:39:56 PM »
Go 7.5  but even a 8.5 can run with a 6.5 your esc has timing setting that can make a motor go faster

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

HOBBYWING | MIP | GREATHOBBIES
DIRT TRAX 3.0
**RIP PAUL DACK**