Author Topic: Personal Transponders!!! All racers please read!  (Read 17852 times)

January 07, 2011, 04:06:49 PMReply #30

Offline Burger

• Prestige A-main Winner
  • Team Durango Canada
    • Great Hobbies
Re: Personal Transponders!!! All racers please read!
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2011, 04:06:49 PM »
Most ptx transponders sell for what they are new, you basically get it faster, buy one new, sell it a month later and you won't be loosing much, they are a hot comodity. I got one before my first paydirt season as that year there was going to be a rental for the house transponders, and ever since I had it, it's so nice, no more worries, unless one of the wires breaks... :(
Andrew Butters' Burghgraef
Great Hobbies
Team Durango Canada
Hobbico
Exotek
Skyrc

January 07, 2011, 06:10:44 PMReply #31

Offline Richie Rich

• Prestige A-main Winner
  • #RockitRC
    • RC Ottawa
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2011, 06:10:44 PM »
Buy one and use velcro and move between cars after each heat..takes 2 secs.

A tip for velcro use: Put velcro on 2 sides (underneath and on one side), that will hold even stronger and you won't lose it on the track after a huge jump. Tuck in velcro flat in the chassis and on one side to grip better.
Follow RockitRC on YouTube
Tamiya | Team Associated | TLR Losi | Axial | LaTrax | Traxxas | Dromida

January 07, 2011, 06:20:03 PMReply #32

Offline GCM

• RC Parts Made in Canada
  • A-Main Winner
  • gcmracing.ca
    • GCM Racing R/C
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2011, 06:20:03 PM »
I have a pt. so don't need a house one, but ... I did once, and it made my day.
I'm totally happy to donate all the time and materials to change the batteries in all of them over time, if someone wants to pay for the batteries, I'll do the rest for nothing. Send me the dead ones now and I'll get them apart and find some good industrial batteries for them and get it going.
GCM Builds and Parts
Youtube Channel: GCMRacing1
Blitz, CrossCanyon 2.2/1.9 Scaler Trucks, 4TEN 1.9 Scaler Trucks, DesertBoy-17 Flux, Mini, SC10, 120SR, Pitts, 360, SlopeHotliners, Sleds, Wraith, etc.

January 07, 2011, 06:32:10 PMReply #33

Offline Burger

• Prestige A-main Winner
  • Team Durango Canada
    • Great Hobbies
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2011, 06:32:10 PM »
theres 10 in a race at most, so I do't think they'd even need that many done, I think 5 would suffice, but I hear the issue is opening them up.
Andrew Butters' Burghgraef
Great Hobbies
Team Durango Canada
Hobbico
Exotek
Skyrc

January 07, 2011, 06:38:48 PMReply #34

rotormonkey

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2011, 06:38:48 PM »
That's sorta what I was getting at too.  I don't have the money to drop on batteries for 'em myself, but I'd be all to happy to donate the time/effort to open 'em up and put new batteries in.  Like you I've been relying on those house transponders up until a couple weeks ago, and it was helpful. 

And to be honest, if there was another $100 necessary to drop on a transponder to get into racing I probably wouldn't have bothered.  I bought an el-cheapo mini.  Got a good deal on one new for $80 (thanks Altar!), and used crap lying around the house for the rest.  I didn't think I'd like racing as much as I do, so that $80 was what it took to get the needle in the vein.

If I had to drop another $100 for a stupid little box that I may or may not have ever used again I wouldn't be racing right now.  I can't imagine I'm the only one.

That being said, there's now two guys that've offered up time to replace those batteries for free.  If the plan is just to get rid of them anyway, I don't see the downside, apart from a few bucks for the batteries themselves. 

Racing has been on a big upswing in Ottawa lately, and I'd like to see it keep going that way.  The more guys, the more fun.  Really none of this is particularly any business of mine as I have a PT anyway.  I just don't want to see anyone discouraged from trying racing out.

I have a pt. so don't need a house one, but ... I did once, and it made my day.
I'm totally happy to donate all the time and materials to change the batteries in all of them over time, if someone wants to pay for the batteries, I'll do the rest for nothing. Send me the dead ones now and I'll get them apart and find some good industrial batteries for them and get it going.

January 07, 2011, 10:17:01 PMReply #35

Offline Pierre Tessier

• A-Main
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2011, 10:17:01 PM »
Just a suggestion !
Has anybody looked up the power requirements of those house transponders. May be able to install a plug and use external power from our receivers !

January 07, 2011, 10:30:11 PMReply #36

Offline AndrewT

• A-Main
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2011, 10:30:11 PM »
Interesting idea Pierre.

I just did a quick search and came up with this...  so it is possible to replace without sending them into AMB

http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/348797-amb-house-transponder-battery-replacement.html

Andrew Thompson

Associated  B4.1
Tamiya M06
Axial SCX10
Axial Wraith
HPI Savage 4.6
HPI Baja EDM
Losi 5ive

January 07, 2011, 10:34:56 PMReply #37

Offline moth898

• C-Main
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2011, 10:34:56 PM »
I think you gus are missing the point, I don't think the condition of the transponders is the only issue.  As you get more popular spending 5 minutes to 10 minutes to sort out witch transponder is assigned to each racer before each heat only takes up racing time.  I would estimate you guys loose close to 1 hour doing this the whole night.  My guess is the organisers are doing this to streamline the racing for you, giving a chance for more people to enjoy racing in a resonable time frame.

January 07, 2011, 10:43:16 PMReply #38

Offline AndrewT

• A-Main
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2011, 10:43:16 PM »
I'm sure most of us get the idea of why this is being suggested.  And I agree.  We loose time having to re-check people in if they have grabbed a different transponder from the the last heat.

But if we can save the current transponders rather then toss them to the side and utilize them, then why not.  If they could be "converted" as Pierre suggested to run off the Aux receiver jack.  Could they be sold and in turn help recoup some of the cost of the new carpet, wood, etc....
Andrew Thompson

Associated  B4.1
Tamiya M06
Axial SCX10
Axial Wraith
HPI Savage 4.6
HPI Baja EDM
Losi 5ive

January 07, 2011, 10:49:41 PMReply #39

Offline Pierre Tessier

• A-Main
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2011, 10:49:41 PM »
Yep! Andrew and I are thinking alike. Convert them, sell them, keep them, there still good.
Good find on that thread Andrew. Like one guy said.. They can be externally powered..

January 08, 2011, 12:14:53 AMReply #40

Offline mihai

• A-Main Winner
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2011, 12:14:53 AM »
No one is touching the transponders. Use them return them or you owe 250. Simple. If Wed nights don't use them they go back in the box in the office.

January 08, 2011, 01:44:21 AMReply #41

agentorange

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2011, 01:44:21 AM »
Mihai, point taken I'm sure, but that was a little rough right out of the blue.

I am new to racing and I see the value of having one for myself, as well as for the hosts of the race, so I'll get one. However, will the house ones be available as a spare should someone's pt go fubar? Or are they gone completely as of march?

January 08, 2011, 07:50:36 AMReply #42

Offline TKG26

• Joel
  • Forum Admin
  • Prestige A-main Winner
    • R/C OTTAWA
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2011, 07:50:36 AM »
Mihia must be drunk posting again.  ::)
HOBBYWING | MIP | GREATHOBBIES
DIRT TRAX 3.0
**RIP PAUL DACK**

January 08, 2011, 08:27:09 AMReply #43

Offline Joe

• Prestige A-main Winner
  • unz unz unz
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2011, 08:27:09 AM »
Nothing rough about it..  Its to the point thats all, don't put emotion to words on a screen.
Joe

January 08, 2011, 08:44:20 AMReply #44

Offline Martin Fontaine

• Simply NooB
  • A-Main
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2011, 08:44:20 AM »
Nothing rough about it..  Its to the point thats all, don't put emotion to words on a screen.

Well I guess if Mihai and/or DH provided those transponder, he has he say on wether of not he wants people to open them or not.  He prolly can find another use for them or simply sell them
HPI Racing - Blitz RTR ATTK-10 Stock